Sunday, January 28, 2007

Travelodge Hotel Accuses You


At the Travelodge Hotel You Are Guilty Till Proven Innocent


At the Travelodge Hotel, (Burlington on the Lake) you are guilty till proven innocent. How’s that for customer service? How’s that for marketing?

I attended a morning seminar at the Travelodge Hotel in Burlington. After the seminar I found this notice on the windshield of my car which I had parked in the Travelodge parking lot.


________________________________________________________
Travelodge Hotel
Burlington on the Lake

PARKING NOTICE
PRIVATE PROPERTY

YOU ARE CURRENTLY PARKED ON PRIVATE PROPERTY RESEVERED FOR HOTEL GUESTS AND RESTAURANT PARTRONS IN THE DESIGNATED AREA. SHOULD YOU REQUIRE A MONTHLY PARKING PASS PLEASE CONTACT THE FRONT DESK.

PLEASE REMOVE YOUR CAR

YOU WILL BE TICKETED OR TOWED AT THE OWNERS EXPENSE, SHOULD YOU CHOOSE TO IGNORE THIS NOTICE.

______________________________________________________________


(Yes it was typed in all CAPS with the extra large and bold print.)

How would you feel if you found this notice on your car? You just attended a meeting at the hotel. You parked legitimately in the regular parking lot and you are accused of being a trespasser, thief or worst. And you are threatened with fines and the hassle and embarrassment of having your car towed.

How would you feel?

Confused? Annoyed? Ticked?

I was all of those – plus curious. Curious about how anyone could be so stupid, insensitive and I was curious about the “explanation”.

So unlike most unhappy customers who would simple feel pissed-off and drive away – I walked back into the hotel.

I was curious and on a mission of discovery. I approached the front counter, placed the notice on the counter and asked the clerk, “What is this about?” She backed away as if I had vampire fangs. A manager from the back room approached the front desk to address my concerns. He did not introduce himself.

Same question for him, “What is this about?”

He immediately went into a defensive tirade. This was for my protection so I would have a place to park.

My next question, “Why have you accused me of an offense?”

“This was the only way we can protect your ability to park” After a few rounds of nonsense I left. There was no apology – only a self-righteous defense. And most importantly no “Thank you for bringing this to our attention.”

Not only did I feel falsely accused and abused by the Travelodge Hotel – I also felt unappreciated for bringing this mistake to their attention.

Anyone can make a mistake. Only a fool would persist in defending that mistake.

I guess that the Travelodge Hotel is a fool.


No comments: