Monday, January 14, 2008

Liar, Liar - Pants on Fire

Liar, Liar - pants on fire.

Do you remember that old child's expression? Have you ever wanted to say that to a marketer that was clearly making false claims? More importantly is any part of your own marketing false and hence making you a liar? Correct it before people start pointing the finger at you and chant, "Liar, liar - pants on fire."

Kelley Robertson, sales trainer and author puts it nicely in his ezine. The tip below is reprinted from his "59 Second Sales Tip"

You can register for the "59 Second Sales Tip" at The Robertson Training Group.

--------------

I received a voice mail the other day from someone who said they were interested in my training programs and products so naturally I returned the call quickly.

However, when I connected with this person, he immediately tried to sell me one of his products and expressed no interest in my services. His approach was simply a ruse to get me to return his call. As you can imagine, I was not impressed.

I know that connecting with decision-makers and getting phone calls returned is a huge sales challenge. However, misrepresenting yourself, your company, or the reason for your call is one of the worst approaches you can use. Not only is it misleading and dishonest, it wastes your prospect's time, and in today's hectic business world, time is a precious commodity.

Plus, it smacks of desperation. And let's face it, who wants to buy from someone who is that hungry and desperate to get a sale? Here's the bottom line. If a salesperson is willing to take this approach BEFORE they get the business, what else will they do once they have it? I trust that YOU don't have to resort to such tactics.
----------------

The above is from Kelley Robertson's "59 Second Sales Tip"


George Torok

Personal Marketing

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Found your blog from the link at Rick Spence’s site. Had the opportunity to hear you speak and attend one of your seminars at Mac a few years back. Must say, that several of the things you mentioned then have stood me in good stead – particularly tell me three times, and site preparation amongst them. Still have the book on my shelf.
As for the lying, and its cousins – deceit and misrepresentation – I find it perplexing that marketers cannot see that the damage done to any potential trust they might have had. Granted, I deal more with small business types, but in my experience, if you breach that trust word can spread very quickly. Over and over gain I hear about the enormous levels of distrust people have. All the copy in the world will not make up for that.
Anyway, nice to see your blog – I’ll keep both yours and Kelley’s sites in mind in case I come across someone who would benefit.
Mike