Monday, April 03, 2006

Night Light Marketing


Night Light Marketing

I woke up the other night – not so unusual. But this time I noticed how bright the hallway looked.

I immediately wondered – why is the kitchen light on? And when I finally roused myself from the sleep stupor I walked to the kitchen to discover that the light in the kitchen was off. All that shining light emanated from the little 1.5 volt night light in the bathroom. It turns out we had been without a night light for a few days so the contrast was huge.

‘Wow!’ I thought as I found my way back to bed – is that ever bright. And before I fell asleep again I mused for awhile about that night light. Doesn’t everybody do this?

What a great marketing lesson. I would never notice that night light during the day when the sun is shinning or in the evening when other lights are on. But it shines like a beacon when everything is dark.


What is the learning point?

Shine where no one else is shining.
Make noise when everyone else is silent.
Be where the competition is not.

Stop competing. .Never go head-to-head. Instead – stand alone and be noticed.

Marketing guru, Dan Kennedy, calls this going where the herd is not.
http://www.dankennedy.com/

Don’t go with the flow.
Don’t stand with the herd.
Shine a light where it is dark.
…If you want to be noticed.


George Torok

Secrets of Power Marketing


Definition: Night light Marketing – a tiny light shining in the dark.

No comments: